| "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 195355
| "Against the dark background of the atomic bomb, the United States does not wish merely to present strength, but also the desire and the hope for peace."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower at the United Nations, 8 December 195356
| "History is on our side. We will bury you!"
- Nikita Khrushchev to a group of western diplomats, 17 November 195657
| "Poor Eisenhower, I am just beginning to understand what his problems are."
- Nikita Khrushchev, after touring the United States in 195958
| "The reason we have such a high standard of living is because advertising has created an American frame of mind that makes people want more things, better things, and newer things."
- Robert Sarnoff, president of National Broadcasting Company, 195659
| "You have a row of dominoes set up, you knock over the first one, and what will happen to the last one is the certainty that it will go over very quickly."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, speaking about Southeast Asia, 7 April 195460
| "Half the people think this is a good Administration. The other half think it is terrible and are proud of Ike for not being mixed up in it."
- Fletcher Knebel, columnist61
| "We are in the era of the thermonuclear bomb that can obliterate cities and can be delivered across continents. With such weapons, war has become, not just tragic, but preposterous."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 23 August 195662
| "In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, January 1961