1984 Book 2, Chapter 2 Summary
- Cut to said Sunday. Winston follows the brunette’s directions and the two meet in the countryside in some bushes, away from telescreens and hidden microphones.
- The brunette kisses Winston, and tells him that her name is Julia.
- Winston feels confident with the hiding place, given Julia’s apparent experience.
- Julia tears off her Junior Anti-Sex League sash and shares a small slab of luxury chocolate with him. They continue walking through the bushes and into the woods.
- In the woods, Julia tears off her overalls, flings them aside, and they do the deed.
- Winston asks whether Julia has had sex before. She answers that she’s done it scores of times and always with Party members.
- Winston responds that the more men she has been with, the more he loves her, for he sees sexuality as the ultimate form of rebellion against the Party.
- Indeed, Winston is thrilled that the animal instinct – simple sexual desire – is still alive. With it, they are able to strike a blow against the Party.
- The two lovers fall asleep..
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search