Cite This Page
1984 Book 2, Chapter 4 Summary Page 1
- Winston rents the room above Mr. Charrington’s secondhand shop for private time with Julia. The pair has been preparing for Hate Week at work, and because of the longer hours, Winston has become increasing frustrated sexually.
- He daydreams about growing old and living a carefree life with Julia.
- Julia bursts into the room with real coffee, milk, tea, sugar, and bread – luxuries that only Inner Party members are privileged to have. She puts on makeup – which she is definitely not allowed to do – and totally turns Winston on.
- The two go at it and fall asleep afterwards.
- Lounging in bed, Julia notices a rat and Winston proclaims that it is his biggest fear. (Warning bells are ringing.)
- The two then chat about the paperweight and the picture of St. Clement’s Church. Then they sing.
- Julia then leaves, and Winston gazes into the paperweight philosophically.