1984 Book 3, Chapter 5 Summary
- O’Brien tells Winston that the worst thing in the world is in Room 101. What is the worst thing in the world, you ask? Well, it depends on the person.
- For Winston, that thing is rats, in an Indiana Jones and snakes kind of way.
- O’Brien threatens Winston by showing him a cage of large, vociferous rats, waiting to gnaw away at Winston’s face.
- Winston, with the rats just inches away from his face, is terrified. The oh-so-chivalrous Winston shouts out, "Do it to Julia!"
- That does the trick for O’Brien. He’s satisfied. No more private loyalty = only party loyalty to Big Brother.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...