20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Part 1 Chapter 3 Summary
As Monsieur Pleases
- As much as Aronnax wants to go back home to France and chill, he can't pass up this opportunity. He figures he'll end up back in Europe eventually.
- Aronnax's servant, Conseil, an odd little Flemish guy, is down too. He's pretty much down with whatever his master wants to do; he's been a faithful companion for ten years now.
- He also has an annoying habit of addressing Aronnax in the third person, but that's neither here nor there. (To little consequence, we find out here that Aronnax is forty years old, while Conseil is thirty.)
- Aronnax and Conseil get ready in a hurry, abandoning most of the specimens from their trip to Nebraska in the process. We're guessing they think a never-before-documented giant narwhale is more important than their dime-a-dozen Nebraska samples.
- In a couple of hours, they're on board the frigate Abraham Lincoln, a fast, powerful boat that seems perfect for the expedition.
- Farragut, the ship's trusty captain, steers them out into the Pacific, where the beast was last sighted. Thousands watch from shore as the boat leaves New York harbor.