20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
by Jules Verne
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Part 2 Chapter 15 Summary
Accident or Incident?
- South Pole conquered, Nemo decides to get the heck out of Antarctica.
- Problem is, the Nautilus runs into a snag. While cruising under the ice it manages to hit something; it's stuck one thousand feet under the ice, and it's listing (leaning) to the side.
- Aronnax, Conseil, and Ned meet each other in the salon and try to figure out what's happened.
- Nemo enters the salon unexpectedly. He looks anxious. He never looks anxious. Something's up.
- It's serious, he says. The Nautilus got trapped when a huge chunk of ice just plain flipped over and hit the sub.
- Things get a little better. The Nautilus straightens out. Aronnax is optimistic; Ned, of course, is not.
- The panels in the salon open up, revealing the entirety of the problem: the Nautilus is stuck in a big tunnel of ice.
- It's a beautiful sight, what with the electric light bouncing off the ice, but Ned gets the feeling that man wasn't meant to see such things. Aronnax thinks he might be right.
- The Nautilus starts moving. Conseil is blinded by the rapid flashing of the lights on the ice.
- Luckily, the windows in the salon close. Conseil is dazzled. He can't believe what he's just seen.
- They're not out of the woods yet, though. Aronnax and company feel another shock. Aronnax is sure this is an accident.
- All of a sudden, the Nautilus moves in reverse, fast. Nemo, they decide, must be trying another escape route.
- Aronnax tries to read in order to take his mind off of the danger they're in. Conseil returns and finds that he's reading his own book. Aronnax is really out of it.
- A few hours later, the Nautilus hits something else.
- Nemo enters the salon. They're trapped, he says.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...