A Raisin in the Sun
by Lorraine Hansberry
Beneatha Younger Timeline and Summary
- Beneatha wakes up and has a teasing quarrel with Walter as she waits to use the bathroom.
- Bennie is taking guitar lessons, and has been active in a theatre group.
- Beneatha is dating both Joseph and George.
- Joseph’s nickname for her means something like "One for Whom Bread – Food – is Not Enough."
- Bennie debates with both Joseph and George about the importance of knowing one’s roots and taking pride from that knowledge.
- Beneatha claims not to believe in God.
- Passionate about social change, Bennie claims not to be an assimilationist.
- She stops Mama from beating Walter on the head after he gambles away their money.
- Bennie says the cowardly Walter is not her brother. Mama contradicts her.