A Rose for Emily
by William Faulkner
Miss Emily Grierson Timeline and Summary
- Miss Emily's funeral is held.
- The story goes back in time to the point when Miss Emily's father dies, and her taxes are remitted.
- The tax collectors come to Miss Emily's house.
- A few years later, Miss Emily's house begins to reek. The townsmen sprinkle lime in her yard to cover up a bad smell.
- The smell goes away.
- We go back in time again to the point when Miss Emily's father dies and leaves her no money, only the family house.
- Miss Emily refuses to believe he is dead, but eventually realizes it's true.
- She meets Homer Barron.
- Later, she buys arsenic from the pharmacy.
- She buys men's toilet items and clothing.
- Homer Barron is seen going into her house but not leaving.
- Emily remains cooped up in her house for a long time.
- When she emerges, her hair has turned gray.
- She gives painting lessons.
- She stops giving painting lessons
- She completely stops leaving the house.
- She dies.
- Her funeral is held.
- The townspeople break down the door of her upstairs room and find the corpse of Homer Barron.