A Wrinkle in Time
Cite This Page
Charles Wallace Murry Timeline and Summary
- Charles Wallace senses that Meg is going to need some cocoa, so he makes some.
- Charles also senses that his mom is going to need sandwiches, so he gets started on that too.
- Charles talks to Mrs. Whatsit when she turns up.
- Charles meets Meg when she gets home from school and takes her to visit Mrs. Whatsit.
- On the way they run into Calvin, whom Charles is at first suspicious of but eventually warms to.
- Charles introduces Meg and Calvin to Mrs. Who.
- Charles and Meg take Calvin home for dinner.
- Charles interrupts Meg and Calvin on their moonlight walk, followed by Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which.
- Charles looks for Meg post-tesser and can't find her.
- Charles is relieved when Meg finally joins them.
- Charles is peeved that the Mrs. Ws didn't show more consideration for Meg.
- Charles, Meg, and Calvin ride on winged-centaur Mrs. Whatsit's back.
- Charles almost-but-not-quite understands the other centaurs' song, so he collaborates with Mrs. Whatsit to translate for Meg.
- Charles, along with the others, observes the Black Thing.
- Charles tries to explain the tesseract to Meg.
- Charles tells off Mrs. Which for trying to land them on a two-dimensional planet.
- Charles sees the Black Thing wreathing Earth in the Happy Medium's crystal ball.
- Charles sees a star sacrifice itself to fight the Black Thing, realizes Mrs. Whatsit did the same thing, and gives her a kiss.
- Charles reassures Meg that he'll make sure she gets fed.
- Charles, Meg, and Calvin land on Camazotz.
- Charles asks Mrs. Whatsit why she's afraid for them if she wasn't afraid to sacrifice herself, and she tells him she was afraid.
- Charles receives gifts from the Mrs. Ws: the resilience of childhood, a reminder that he doesn't know everything, and a command to go into the city.
- Mrs. Whatsit reminds Charles to beware of pride and arrogance, and not to go off on his own.
- Charles, Meg, and Calvin walk through the suburbs towards the city.
- Charles notices that all the kids are playing in exactly the same rhythm.
- After the kids go indoors, Charles knocks on the door of the one kid who was out of sync, and talk to his mother.
- Charles talks to a boy delivering newspapers.
- Charles insists they go into the CENTRAL Central Intelligence Building.
- Charles talks to a man there and gets them reported.
- Charles, with Meg and Calvin, encounters the man with the red eyes.
- Charles uncharacteristically threatens violence against the man.
- Charles recites nursery rhymes to resist the man's hypnotic powers.
- Charles refuses to speak to the man by letting him read his mind.
- Charles slaps the man.
- Charles looks into the man's eyes in order to try to figure out who he is and is nearly possessed, but Meg brings him back to himself.
- Charles can't smell or taste the turkey dinner.
- Charles again looks into the man's eyes, and this time is wholly possessed. We'll call this possessed version of Charles "Chucky."
- Chucky now thinks the turkey dinner is delicious, and criticizes Meg for being obstreperous.
- Chucky leads Meg and Calvin to where Mr. Murry is imprisoned, all the while telling them about the wonderfulness of IT.
- Chucky tries to stop Meg from getting into the room where her father is, but fails.
- Chucky is rude to his father.
- Chucky takes Meg, Calvin, and Mr. Murry to IT.
- Chucky is left behind with IT when Mr. Murry tessers away with Meg and Calvin.
- When Meg returns, Chucky tries to get her over to the dark side, but Meg triumphs through the power of love.
- Charles, no longer possessed, returns home with Meg and the others.