by William Faulkner
Judith Sutpen Timeline and Summary
This character timeline is in chronological order. This isn't how things go down in the book, but we wanted to make it a little easier to follow. Even Faulkner wanted it that way (he includes a chronology in the book itself), so we feel okay about it.
- October 3, 1841: Judith is born to Ellen and Thomas Sutpen.
- c. 1855: She behaves like a wild teenager. No big deal.
- 1858: After Henry brings Charles Bon home for a visit, Judith and Charles get engaged.
- c. 1862: She nurses the wounded soldiers in the Civil War while waiting for news from Henry and Bon.
- c. 1865: Finally, she receives a letter from Charles Bon, who declares his intention to marry her. She gives the letter to Quentin's grandmother (which is how we end up hearing about it). Excited about the marriage, she makes a wedding dress with Clytie, who gets the scraps from Rosa.
- 1871: Judith raises Charles Etienne (Bon's son) with Clytie.
- February 12, 1884: She tragically dies of yellow fever. Overall, not as great a life as a rich plantation girl could have had.