The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian Chapter 14 Summary
- Thanksgiving comes and the Spirit family celebrates with a turkey and all the trimmings. Junior wonders why Indians even celebrate Thanksgiving. His Dad says they should be thankful that the white men didn't kill all of the Indians. Everyone laughs. (Gallows humor.)
- Junior misses Rowdy coming over to eat pumpkin pie, so he draws a picture of the two of them together (fig 14.1) and goes to Rowdy's house to deliver it to him.
- Rowdy's father says that Rowdy isn't home (he is), so Junior asks him to give Rowdy the drawing. Rowdy's father says that Junior is "kind of gay," but that he'll give him the picture (14.19). (Harsh.)
- Walking away, Junior stops at the end of the driveway and sees Rowdy watching him from his bedroom window.
- Junior calls to him, but Rowdy flips Junior off and walks away from the window. He's glad that Rowdy at least didn't rip up the drawing. That's something.