The Alchemyst Chapter 2 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Josh peers out of the cellar, and sees four men staring down the bookshop owner, Nick Fleming. Is the shop being robbed?
- Although Nick Fleming and the small gray man are not speaking, Josh realizes that something is going on between them.
- Both men's fingers are moving, and a green mist is gathering in Fleming's hand, curling into patterns, and drifting onto the floor.
- Josh sees foul-smelling yellow smoke gather in the gray man's hands. (Rotten eggs, anyone?)
- The green mist becomes a long coil of green smoke, and the yellow mist becomes a yellow ball of energy.
- When Fleming's green coil and the gray man's yellow ball collide, the coil wraps around the ball and it explodes, sending both men backwards across the room.
- The windows explode outward.
- Well, that was interesting.
- Fleming tells Josh to stay out of the way as he makes a throwing motion with his arm.
- Josh sees nothing, but books are instantly ripped from the shelves, thrown into a heap in the center of the floor. Then they explode. Seriously, what's with all the explosions?
- The two men in overcoats are blown back by the explosion, and Josh is able to see their dead-looking gray skin and eyes like polished stone.
- In fact, Josh realizes, their eyes are stones. Creepy.
- Nick Fleming, referring to the two men in overcoats with stone eyes, says that the gray man brought Golems. Oh, good to know. Except… what are Golems?
- More invisible balls are tossed into the room, and the gray man tells Fleming that he is impressed with his perfected technique.
- Well, I've been practicing, Fleming tells the guy.
- The gray man tells Fleming that he has been looking for him for a long time, and wants something of his returned to him.
- No dice. Fleming says that he burned "it" a long time ago.
- Uh oh.
- Time to fly. Fleming and Josh try to escape through a door hidden behind books into an empty dry cleaners shop.
- Phew. That was close.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search