by Michael Scott
The Alchemyst Chapter 20 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Back with Dr. John Dee in San Francisco, we learn he's starting to feel out of control.
- He's feeling pressured by people and beings too eager for results.
- We guess it ain't easy being an Elder's henchman.
- Dee's memories flash back in time to when he first met Nicholas Flamel.
- Dr. John Dee was born in 1527 and was Queen Elizabeth's advisor, translator, mathematician, astrologer, and spy.
- He pretended to speak only English, Latin, and Greek, but he actually spoke a dozen more languages, which allowed him to get lots of secret information for the Queen.
- He always signed documents with the code name 007—just like our James Bond.
- Then, when he recognized Flamel and his wife at a hospital they had built, the Flamels agreed to take Dee on as an apprentice.
- Bad idea.
- One night Dee was studying in his tiny attic room in Flamel's house when a gargoyle crawled down the chimney and invited him to meet at the top of the cathedral of Notre Dame.
- Dee followed and waited on the roof, looking out at the picturesque Paris nighttime sky. He wished he could fly.
- That's when the Morrigan showed up and told him the whole story of the Elder Race, and how the Elders want to return to being the rulers of mankind.
- The Morrigan promised that Dee would be the master of the entire world if only he would steal the book and give it to the Elders.
- Uh, duh. Dee agreed.
- Since then, he has battled many creatures in many lands, but he has never been truly scared—until now.
- That's it for Dr. John Dee's story.
- Now back to the present, where he is sitting in his car outside the entrance to a Bel Air estate in Los Angeles.
- He is greeted by Senuhet, a tall, bald, olive-skinned man who is Bastet's minion. His eyes are painted with kohl in horizontal lines—the makeup of ancient Egypt.
- Senuhet leads Dee down through underground caverns to meet Bastet—the Egyptian goddess with the body of the young woman and the head of the cat.
- Dee tells her that the Morrigan, Bastet's niece, says it is time to join her to attack Hekate's Shadowrealm.
- An overjoyed Bastet tells her thousands of cats that it is time to hunt. Time to feed.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...