The Alchemyst Chapter 9 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- The creepy Golems pursue the twins, but two of them are taken out by the crescent blades. Hey, those things are pretty handy.
- The third Golem survives and steps into the dojo, followed by most of the rats. It's quite the scene.
- The action switches back to Dr. John Dee. Apparently, he is controlling the remaining Golem from his speeding limousine.
- See, Golems are mindless creatures that magicians manipulate with their minds.
- As his Golem chases the twins, Dee reminisces about a time when he told the story of the most powerful Golem to a lady named Mary Shelley.
- The story was so good, she even wrote the famous story Frankenstein about it (check out "Shout Outs" for more).
- Through the Golem, Dee sees Scatty has joined Flamel.
- That's a big bummer for Dee, because apparently Scatty is quite the powerful woman. She must be if Dee is so scared of her.
- Josh and Sophie watch as the Golem attacks Scatty. Sophie impulsively throws a microwave at the Golem to help, but there's no need.
- Scatty just knocks the Golem down. We mean, the girl runs a dojo for crying out loud. We're thinking she can hold her own in a fight.
- She pulls out a paper square from the Golem's mouth. Scatty tells them that every magical creature is animated by a spell either in or on its body, and all you have to do is destroy the spell to destroy the creature.
- Simple, right?
- Flamel fights the rats with a green ball of magic mist (a warding spell, Scatty informs them).
- Then he has a chat with the rats, because he knows they're spies for Dee: "Dr. John Dee, you have made the biggest mistake of your long life. I am coming for you."
- Here's hoping Dee is quaking in his boots.
- And he should be, because when Dee tries to send the remaining rats into the room, they're blocked by the very floorboards, which Flamel has turned into trees.
- Sophie and Josh learn that one of the oldest secrets of alchemy is that every living thing carries the secret of creation within itself.
- Um, you mean DNA? says Josh.
- No. Flamel says. It's called magic.
Next Page: Chapter 10
Previous Page: Chapter 8