The Alchemyst Questions
- Why is The Alchemyst divided into two parts? Consider what would happen if Michael Scott divided up the book differently. What would have happened if all the events took place over one month, or even a year, instead of two days? Would the story be more or less believable? More or less exciting?
- Michael Scott chooses to Awaken only one of the twins. What is the effect of this choice? Does it make a difference to the twins' relationship? To Sophie's development? To the events in the story as a whole?
- What would happen if one of the alternate futures the Witch of Endor envisioned became reality? For example, what if Hekate killed Bastet, and the Morrigan slew Dee in the Shadowrealm battle? What if Hekate killed Nicholas Flamel, and was in turn killed by Scatty? What would happen to the twins? What would happen to the book?
- What do you think Dr. John Dee does as head of Enoch Enterprises? What kind of films do they make? How might they use the media to further their plans?
- Michael Scott had always wanted to write a book about Dr. John Dee, not necessarily Nicholas Flamel. How would the book be different if it was about the "Secrets of the Immortal Dr. John Dee"?
- Why have two twins as the main characters in The Alchemyst? How would the book be different if it was just about Josh? Just about Sophie?
- The Alchemyst is just Harry Potter set in present-day San Francisco. Do you agree or disagree, and why?
- If you could add another character from history, myth, or legend to the bunch, who would it be and why? What would happen if you brought in Robin Hood, the fairy godmother from Cinderella, Zeus, Benjamin Franklin, or Vishnu?
- Listen to the band Jumeaux's music inspired by The Alchemyst (see "Best of the Web"). What part of the book would you set these songs to? Create your own soundtrack or playlist for the book.
- Draw a picture of what your room in the World Tree would look like. Remember: only natural materials allowed! (Yay! We can bring our Chia pet!)
- What would your magical aura look and smell like? Shmoop's would have caramel-colored light and would smell like freshly baked apple pie. Come to think of it, that would go well with Sophie's vanilla ice cream aura...