When authors refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
Literary and Philosophical References
- George Bernard Shaw (1.535): A politically outspoken socialist Irish playwright, 1856-1950.
- P-40 (1.479, 2.526): A World War II fighter plane.
- Zeppelin (2.197): A dirigible (flying blimp).
- Mohandas Gandhi (2.321): Indian lawyer who used peaceful means, including hunger strikes, to agitate for Indian independence.
Pop Culture References
- Don Ameche (1.55): A popular actor in the '30s and '40s.
- Andy Gump (2.378): Husband in The Gumps, a comic strip that ran from 1917-1959.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...