When authors refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
Literary and Philosophical References
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (15.31)
- Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island (19.12)
- Patrick Henry, "Give me liberty or give me death" (22.24)
- Children's Crusade (27.47) could be a reference to either Slaughterhouse-Five or the actual 1212 Children's Crusade that the aforementioned book references.
- Or a civil rights movement of 1963. But probably at least one of those.
- Luke and his brothers, Matthew and Mark are the first three Gospels in the Bible.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...