Among the Hidden
by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Among the Hidden Chapter 21 Summary
- Luke's father gets a letter from the Government putting the kibosh on his hydroponics experiments. And they're going to confiscate everything he's already grown.
- Luke actually helps out with translating all the big words in the letter.
- But now that his father can't busy himself with his indoor agriculture, Luke is having a harder time sneaking out to Jen's. He only gets out a few times between February and March.
- During one of their hangouts, Jen tells Luke about a special third child play group her mother had her in when she was younger. One of the other kids in the group even brought a pet (which are also illegal).
- Barons and government officials are apparently really into breaking the law because they know they'll get away with it.
- Jen also tells Luke the Government also launched a huge campaign saying how horrible it is for women to be pregnant, and that pregnant women had to go into hiding just like Luke and Jen.
- Their conversation segues to the topic of sibling betrayal and Jen questions Luke on whether or not his brothers would ever turn him in.
- Pause for dramatic effect...
- No way! Matt and Mark would never betray Luke. Even if they're not spending as much time with him as they used to.
- But the more time he spends with Jen, the less Luke minds. And once spring comes, Luke will be able to sneak over there more often.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...