Among the Hidden
by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Among the Hidden Chapter 22 Summary
- Jen is all psyched up with ideas for the rally. She plans on snagging one of her parents' cars, picking up some kids and getting to the president's house at 6 a.m.
- Oh, and she assumes Luke is all ready to come with her.
- But his heart is already pounding with nervousness at the thought of leaving and he brings up the all-important issue of the Population Police.
- Jen discloses how she hacked into the national employee staffing schedule and made a few edits here and there to make sure they won't be bothered during their trip.
- This information doesn't calm Luke the slightest bit.
- Knowing that he'll be consumed with panic, Luke tells Jen that he can't go.
- Yeah … she doesn't take that too well.
- Jen goes off on a tirade about Luke being too scared to fight for what he believes in and how if he doesn't join her, he'll regret it for the rest of his life.
- But Luke doesn't think he's as brave as Jen (which is hogwash since he has been brave enough to continually sneak over to Jen's house).
- Nevertheless, she begs him to go to the rally for her sake.
- Painfully, Luke says he can't.
- And … that's the end of that. Jen kicks him out, but not before declaring, "Hope doesn't mean anything [...] Action's the only thing that counts" (22.58).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...