Among the Hidden Chapter 28 Summary
- Luke starts screaming his head off in fear, which is probably the same thing we'd do in that situation.
- Mr. Talbot tries to get him to calm down but it's useless and somehow in all the commotion, the gun ends up in Luke's hands.
- Suddenly Jen's dad moves very slowly and is swearing on his daughter's name that he's on Luke's side.
- This gets Luke to settle down enough for the two of them to talk.
- Mr. Talbot breaks it down for Luke and says he works for the Population Police but doesn't agree with them. In fact, he tries to sabotage them at every chance.
- Then it's time for a real history lesson about the famine and Population Law.
- Jen's dad tells Luke how the famine freaked people out so much that all they cared about was food.
- Rightfully so. But then this dude General Sherwood came along and only gave the people food. This started the all-controlling and oppressive Government that Luke is familiar with.
- And even though the Government ignores Barons possessing illegal food like soda and potato chips, the Population Law is still strictly enforced with everyone. Including the Talbots.
- But Mr. Talbot doesn't agree with the Population Law and says he can snag Luke a fake I.D. tomorrow. And just as he's about to tell Luke to hide, a thumping at the door announces the arrival of the legit Population Police.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...