Among the Hidden
by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Among the Hidden Chapter 6 Summary
- Two weeks after the gub'mint's letter, Mr. Garner and his two oldest sons get rid of their pigs while Luke watches from his vent-window in his attic-room.
- To make matters worse, a tax bill comes on the same day and it is three times what it usually is.
- Mrs. Garner thinks it a mistake but their neighbors confirm that everyone's taxes have gone up.
- And it's all due to those fancy schmancy houses going up behind the Garners' farm. Thanks a lot, property value.
- So, if you're keeping score, this construction nonsense has taken away the woods, the pigs, and now everyone's money.
- Oh and one more thing: they're taking away Luke's mom, because she's going back to work to earn some more money.
- Luke starts to ask who's going to stay with him, but stops when he realizes that no one else is having the same surprised reaction.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...