Among the Hidden
Among the Hidden Chapter 8 Summary
- One morning, the entire family is in such a rush to get to school and work that they forget to raise the window shade in the kitchen. Oh snap, this could be Luke's chance!
- He peeks around the corner and sees that all the window shades are down.
- In a daring move, Luke puts one foot on the kitchen floor and hears a squeak.
- Aaaand that's enough of that. Even though the squeak failed to set off any alarms or sirens and the sky didn't start falling, Luke heads back up to his room.
- Where he makes a plan.
- Looking out his vent, Luke surveys his now familiar neighbors. In a very Hunchback of Notre Dame-esque way, he affectionately nicknames them: the Big Car Family, the Gold Family, the Birdbrain Family, and the Sports Family. He meticulously counts every person who leaves the street until he's positive they're all gone.
- Party time!
- Luke is ecstatic to be able to retreat from the confines of his attic-room and finds excitement in doing simple things like household chores.
- But then he gets just a little too confident and decides to bake bread and turn on the radio just a teeny bit.
- Everything is going swimmingly until Luke hears someone coming up the driveway. We don't think Fear Factor could ever top what Luke must have felt in that moment.
- He dashes up the stairs to hide and then hears someone enter the house.
- Next thing he hears is his father yelling for him. Yeah, he's not supposed to be home this early. But nothing like a midday surprise, eh?
- Mr. Garner is, how do we put this gently? Super ticked off?
- He runs through all the potentially disastrous scenarios that could have occurred and orders Luke to stay hidden.
- Up in his room, Luke looks out at his neighbors' empty property. He's certain that he accounted for every person's departure.
- Okay, so whose face does he see in The Sports Family window?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...