Luke Garner Timeline and Summary
- Luke says goodbye to the outdoors as the woods are cut down he is forced to live inside.
- Luke's parents take mega precautions, like making him stay in his room.
- But he's able to sneak out one day when the window blinds are left down.
- After being caught and sent to his room, Luke sees a mysterious face in the window of his neighbor's house.
- He observes the family and eventually concludes that they have a third child as well.
- After lots of thinking and planning, Luke sneaks out of his house to meet this other third child.
- Enter Jen Talbot, Luke's new (and only) friend.
- She tells him all about the shadow/third children rally she's planning.
- Luke hems and haws and finally tells her, a few days before the rally, that he doesn't want to go.
- They fight, but Jen still sneak into the Garners' house before she leaves to say goodbye to Luke.
- After hearing nothing about the rally on the news, Luke goes over to Jen's house to look for her.
- Instead of Jen, he finds Jen's father and learns that she was killed at the rally.
- The Population Police show up at Jen's house and Mr. Talbot hides Luke in a closet.
- When the coast is clear, Mr. Talbot indicates that Luke is going to need a fake I.D. if he doesn't want to get caught by the Population Police.
- Luke agrees and eventually tells his family everything that has happened.
- He leaves the farm with Mr. Talbot with the new identity of Lee Grant.