An Ideal Husband
by Oscar Wilde
Mrs. Laura Cheveley Timeline and Summary
- Mrs. Cheveley makes a splash at the Chiltern's party.
- She blackmails Sir Robert with the Baron Arnheim letter. He promises to do what she asks.
- Furious that Sir Robert's gone back on his promise, Mrs. Cheveley confronts Lady Chiltern. She exposes Sir Robert, creating a rift in the Chiltern's marriage.
- Mrs. Cheveley makes a surprise call on Lord Goring. She finds Lady Chiltern's letter on pink stationary and thinks it's a love note.
- Sir Robert discovers that she has come to call on Lord Goring and curses her, thinking that his friend has betrayed him.
- Revealing the purpose of her visit, Mrs. Cheveley proposes marriage to Lord Goring. If he agrees, she'll give him the Baron Arnheim letter. No dice.
- Lord Goring confronts her about the theft of the bracelet and says he'll call the police. Mrs. Cheveley clears out – but not before stealing Lady Chiltern's letter.
- She sends the letter to Sir Robert, but her wicked little plan falls flat.