Angels in America, Part One: Millennium Approaches
Angels in America, Part One: Millennium Approaches Act 1, Scene 6 Summary
- Stage directions tell us that it's the first week of November.
- We're in the men's restroom at the Brooklyn Federal Court of Appeals.
- Louis cries over the sink.
- Joe enters. He introduces himself to Louis and asks him if he's okay.
- Louis says it's really nice of Joe to ask – three dudes have come in before and just ran away. He calls them, "Reaganite heartless macho asshole lawyers" (1.6.23).
- Joe admits proudly that he voted for Reagan – twice.
- Louis marvels that he's standing in the presence of a gay Republican.
- Joe says he's not gay.
- Louis tells him, "I mean you sound like a... " (1.6.38).
- "Like a what?" Joes asks (1.6.39).
- "Like a Republican," Louis teases (1.6.40).
- Awkwardly, Joe tries to ask if Louis thinks he sounds gay. Joe can never quite get it out, though, and, in the end, he just says he's confused.
- Louis confirms that, yep, Joe does seem pretty confused.
- "My name is Louis. My friends call me Louise," says Louis.
- He exits quickly, giving Joe a kiss on the cheek.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search