Angels in America, Part One: Millennium Approaches
by Tony Kushner
Louis Ironson Timeline and Summary
- Following his grandmother's funeral, Louis learns that his boyfriend, Prior, has AIDS.
- He consults a rabbi, asking if the scriptures say anything about a person who deserts a loved one when they need him most. He gets no comfort for his guilt from the rabbi.
- Louis cries about the Prior situation in a bathroom of the Brooklyn Federal Court of Appeals where he works. He meets Joe in the bathroom.
- Louis assumes Joe is gay, through Joe denies it.
- He discusses the nature of justice with Prior in bed.
- Louis calls an ambulance when Prior gets terribly sick.
- He talks in code to Emily, Prior's nurse, about how guilty he feels about wanting to leave Prior.
- After leaving the hospital, he has sex with a random guy in the park.
- He gets kind of flirty with Joe while discussing – you guessed it – the nature of justice.
- Louis goes to the hospital and tells Prior that he's moved out.
- Later, he talks politics and guilt with Belize.
- He dances with Prior in one of Prior's hallucinations.
- He starts a relationship with Joe Pitt.