Angels in America, Part Two: Perestroika
Angels in America, Part Two: Perestroika Act 3, Scene 2 Summary
- It's the same morning.
- Roy is in his hospital bed. Though he's having terrible stomach pains, he's still on the phone, talking to someone about his disbarment hearings. (Remember, he's a lawyer who has done some sketchy things and may be disbarred.)
- He has a terrible bout of pain, then the ghost of Ethel Rosenberg enters. Roy continues to talk on the phone, but he can't take his eyes off of Ethel.
- Belize enters with a tray of pills, telling Roy to put down the phone.
- Roy throws the pills on the floor.
- Belize tries to get the phone, but Roy threatens to bite him.
- He has another terrible spasm, and Ethel laughs. Roy says he doesn't trust the hospital, and starts talking to Ethel.
- Belize asks him whom he's talking to.
- Roy ignores Belize's question and proudly announces that he's got a gigantic stash of AZT in the refrigerator.
- Belize can't believe Roy was able to get so much AZT, which hardly anybody in the country has access to. Belize tries to get Roy to give him some, saying he has friends that need it.
- Roy refuses.
- Belize can't understand why even Roy would be so selfish – he clearly won't be able to use it all.
- Roy says it's because he hates Belize and his friends and accuses Belize of just wanting handouts. The dying lawyer spews a bunch of racial slurs at Belize and tells him to get out of the room.
- Belize gets really angry and calls Roy a "Greedy kike" (3.2.50).
- This seems to satisfy Roy somehow, and he tells Belize he can have one bottle.
- Belize takes three and leaves.
- Roy starts talking to Ethel, asking her if she's going to sit there all night.
- She says nope, she's leaving early to check out his disbarment hearings, which are going on in Yonkers.
- He calls her all kinds of terrible names.
- Roy waxes philosophic about how it's no good being sick in America: "It's just no country for the infirm" (3.2.61).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search