Angels in America, Part Two: Perestroika
Angels in America, Part Two: Perestroika Act 3, Scene 6 Summary
- We see Harper and the Mormon mother (from the Mormon Visitors Center diorama) on the Brooklyn Heights Promenade.
- Everybody from the previous two scenes is still onstage – Joe, Louis, Roy, Belize, and Ethel Rosenberg.
- Harper and the Mormon mother stare across the river at the Manhattan skyline.
- The Mormon mother describes the view: "Towers filled with fire. It's the Great Beyond" (3.6.6).
- Harper asks the Mormon mother how it is that people change.
- The Mormon mother launches into a graphic description about how God cuts people open with his thumbnail and pulls them toward change by their entrails. Then He stuffs people's guts back inside, and it's up to them stitch themselves back up.
- We see Prior enter his apartment, looking really sick and tired.
- The Mormon mother says she smells salt on the wind, which means Joe is coming back to Harper.
- Harper and the Mormon mother sing: "Bring back, being, back, Oh bring back my bonnie to me, to me… " (3.6.14).
- We see Louis leave Joe on the beach.
- Louis enters a phone booth and calls Prior. He tells Prior he wants to see him.