Angels in America, Part Two: Perestroika
Angels in America, Part Two: Perestroika Act 4, Scene 4 Summary
- It's the same day.
- Hannah is at the Mormon Visitors Center.
- Joe enters.
- They stare at each other for a moment before speaking.
- Joe asks how Harper is doing.
- "Nothing surprising," says Hannah (4.4.3).
- Joe tells Hannah she shouldn't have come to New York.
- Hannah chastises Joe for not calling.
- Joe says a phone conversation with her is complicated.
- He tells Hannah that he wants to take Harper back to Salt Lake.
- She seems to think this is a bad idea and tells him he's a typical man messing things up.
- Joe wishes his mother would show him some sympathy.
- "If I could manage any, you'd just push it away," Hannah says (4.4.19).
- Joe asks if Harper is there.
- Nope, his mom tells him.
- She's not at the apartment either, says Joe.
- Hannah asks Joe why he left Salt Lake. What was he running from? She observes that it couldn't have been her; she's not big enough.
- "You and me. It's like we're back in Salt Lake again. You sort of bring the desert with you," Joe tells his mother (4.4.24).
- He asks Hannah if she's crying.
- She tells him that if she ever does cry he won't have the privilege of seeing it.
- Joe repeats that she should never have come, then leaves.
- Hannah sits for a moment.
- Prior enters and asks her if the man who just left (Joe) is her son.
- Hannah just stares at him, which somehow seems to confirm it.
- Prior starts to leave, but Hannah asks him if he knows Joe.
- He says it's his ex-boyfriend who knows Joe – really well. Prior just wanted to stop by to tell Joe what an awful, faithless person Louis is.
- Hannah asks him if he's gay.
- Yes, indeed, says Prior.
- "Would you say you are a typical... homosexual?" Hannah asks him (4.4.34).
- "Me. Oh, I'm stereotypical," says Prior (4.4.35).
- Prior starts to feel terrible; he's pushed too hard. He collapses.
- Hannah puts on her coat and starts to help him into a cab to take him to the hospital.
- She notes that a storm is moving in.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search