Angels in America, Part Two: Perestroika
by Tony Kushner
Angels in America, Part Two: Perestroika Act 5, Scene 6 Summary
- (Note: This scene is optional and is usually left out of productions.)
- Waking through the streets of Heaven, Prior runs into Rabbi Isidor Chemelwitz and Sarah Ironson, who are playing cards.
- Sarah is Louis' grandmother, whose funeral the Rabbi presided over at the beginning of Millennium Approaches.
- Prior asks if they know the way out.
- Then he recognizes them, telling Sarah that he was at her funeral.
- Sarah seems to only speak Yiddish, so the Rabbi translates for her.
- Prior tells Sarah that Louis is gay.
- "Oy," says Sarah (5.6.11).
- She and the Rabbi start playing cards again.
- Prior asks why everybody in Heaven plays cards. Rabbi Isidor tells him it's because in Heaven all the great answers are known, but in a pack of cards surprises still exist.
- Prior tells the Rabbi he wants to go home.
- The Rabbi does a little chanting and the ladder appears.
- Prior starts to climb down.
- Sarah (with the Rabbi translating) tells Prior to giver her grandson a message: "You should struggle with the Almighty. [...] It's the Jewish way" (5.6.21-24).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...