Angels in America, Part Two: Perestroika
by Tony Kushner
Angels in America, Part Two: Perestroika Act 5, Scene 8 Summary
- Split scene: Prior and Louis stay on one side of the stage; we also see Harper and Joe in their apartment.
- Harper tells Joe she wants his credit card, and that he can keep track of where she is by looking at the statement.
- Joe begs her to stay, saying she's the only person in the whole world who loves him. "You're my good heart," he tells his wife (5.8.5).
- She walks up and slaps him.
- Harper asks if it hurt.
- He nods yes.
- She says good and that she hopes he remembers the pain.
- Harper tells him that if she gets a job, she'll cut up the credit card.
- Joe begs her to call him.
- She says she probably never will again.
- Harper pulls her Valium stash out of the couch and gives it to Joe. "With a big glass of water," she tells him and exits (5.8.13).
- Over in Prior's hospital room, Louis again tells Prior that he wants to come back.
- Louis says he failed Prior, but that that doesn't mean he doesn't love him.
- Prior says he loves Louis, but that he'll never take him back.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...