by George Orwell
Symbolism, Imagery, Allegory
In a hurry? Here's the happy meal version:
- Old Major = Karl Marx, with a little bit of Vladimir Lenin thrown in
- Snowball = Leon Trotsky
- Napoleon = Josef Stalin, with a big fat allusion to, uh, Napoleon. (Bonaparte.)
- Squealer = Propaganda in general; also possibly Vyacheslav Molotov in particular.
- Moses = the Russian Orthodox Church
- Boxer = Russian laborers and workers
- Clover = Russian laborers and workers, of the female kind
- Mollie = the bourgeoisie
- Benjamin = possibly Orwell; possibly intellectuals in general
- Mr. and Mrs. Jones = Tsar Nicholas II and his family; also capitalists in general
- Mr. Pilkington = the U.S. and U.K.
- Mr. Frederick = Hitler
- Mr. Whymper = gullible westerners and intellectuals
Have time for a leisurely meal? Check out the "Character Analyses" for all these guys and gals.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...