Anna Karenina Part 1, Chapter 2 Summary
- We get a description of Oblonsky's feelings.
- He's only sorry he got caught. Because he is handsome and has started to lose interest in his aging wife (ouch!), he figures that he had the right to have the affair in the first place, and is surprised that Dolly is so angry about it.
- His valet, Matthew, comes in to shave and dress him.
- They're good friends, so they chat as Oblonsky opens his mail and Matthew gives his master a shave.
- Oblonsky is thrilled that his sister, Anna, is coming to visit. Although neither Matthew nor Oblonsky say anything, they both know that Anna is capable of reconciling her brother and sister-in-law.
- The children's nurse pokes her head in and recommends that Oblonsky try to talk to Dolly again.
- Even though everything is Oblonsky's fault, all the servants appear to want him to save his marriage with Dolly.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...