by Leo Tolstoy
Anna Karenina Part 1, Chapter 21 Summary
- Dolly and Oblonsky have reconciled. Everyone has tea and seems happy. Then something weird happens.
- Anna goes upstairs to get a photo album to show everyone. As she leaves the front door bell rings.
- A servant opens the door just as Anna is crossing the landing, and there's Vronsky. She and Vronsky look at each other, and Anna feels both pleasure and fear.
- Vronsky also appears ashamed and frightened to catch a glimpse of her. Anna nods her head and moves on as she hears Oblonsky inviting Vronsky in and Vronsky politely declining.
- Vronsky gives a fairly ridiculous reason for being there (that he wanted to find out about a dinner they were holding for a visiting celebrity the next day) and refuses to go inside, even though Oblonsky tries to convince him.
- Kitty thinks it's because of her.
- Everyone feels kind of uncomfortable about the whole episode, especially Anna.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...