Anna Karenina Part 1, Chapter 34 Summary
- Here we see what Vronsky's life is like in Petersburg.
- While Vronsky was in Moscow he lent his apartment to a friend named Petritsky, who has a lot of debts and causes a lot of scandals. Despite the drama, everyone likes Petritsky.
- Petritsky is living with a pretty young woman named Baroness Shilton.
- When Vronsky arrives at home, Petritsky, the Baroness, and a Captain Kamerovsky are all entertaining each other.
- Everyone chats and gossips. The Baroness asks for advice on divorcing her husband.
- Vronsky feels like he's back on familiar turf with his friends, none of whom are modest, none of whom are faithful to their spouses, and all of whom are in debt.
- Vronsky gets ready to call on his old acquaintances, in order to insert himself into Anna's social circle.
- The final line of Part 1? "As always in Petersburg, he left home not to return till late at night" (1.34.28).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...