Anna Karenina Part 6, Chapter 5 Summary
- Koznyshev rehearses in his head exactly what he's going to say to Varenka.
- Although in look and gesture it's obvious that they're both thinking of marriage, they make small talk about mushrooms.
- They walk in silence until they reach a now-or-never moment.
- Koznyshev rehearses again what he meant to say, takes a deep breath, opens his mouth, and asks Varenka about mushrooms.
- She replies, all emotional.
- Then there's a moment where it's like the balloon has completely deflated. All the pressure and excitement is gone.
- On the way home, Koznyshev decides that he could not betray the memory of his childhood love.
- Levin yells at the children to be careful of the pregnant Kitty.
- Varenka and Koznyshev follow the children out of the woods, and Kitty immediately sees that Koznyshev and Varenka are not engaged.
- She says as much to Levin.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search