by Leo Tolstoy
Anna Karenina Part 8, Chapter 17 Summary
- The Prince and Koznyshev drive home in the gig (a small, horse-drawn carriage), while everyone else goes back on foot.
- They're still far from the house when the sky threatens to rain. They reach the shelter of the porch right as the rain begins.
- Levin immediately asks Miss Agatha about Kitty's whereabouts. She says that Kitty is probably still in the woods.
- Levin rushes off immediately.
- When he gets near what he knows is Kitty's favorite oak tree, he sees it fall. He prays that his family was not hit.
- He cannot find them for a moment, but then sees them calling to him from the other side of the wood.
- The nanny, Kitty, and Mitya are all perfectly all right. Mitya is safe and dry in his baby carriage.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...