As I Lay Dying
by William Faulkner
Addie Bundren Timeline and Summary
- Cora and Kate discuss the cakes.
- Addie lies in bed, blind but "watching" Cash construct her coffin behind her.
- Addie is cooled by Dewey Dell fanning her.
- She is described as being as thin as a rail and barely moving.
- She is described by Cora as an excellent cake baker.
- She looks at Vardaman and Peabody after the doctor arrives.
- Addie has eyes like candle flames.
- Addie lifts herself to see Cash through the window.
- Addie calls for Cash in a "harsh" voice.
- Addie looks at Vardaman, and dies.
- She is placed backwards in the coffin, wearing her wedding dress and a mosquito net as a veil.
- She leaves for Jefferson with the family.
- She stays overnight at Samson’s with the family.
- She arrives at the bridge with the family.
- Addie is thrown into the water.
- Addie stays overnight at Armstid’s with the family.
- She arrives in Mottson, much to the dismay of the townspeople’s noses.
- She is almost burned in the barn fire, but Jewel saves her.
- She arrives in Jefferson.
- She is buried with Mrs. Bundren’s spades.