As I Lay Dying
Cite This Page
Anse Bundren Timeline and Summary
- Anse is sitting on back porch, and tucks tobacco between his gums.
- Anse is characterized by rubbing his knees, gazing out over the land, and never doing anything that would cause him to sweat.
- He is against Jewel and Darl going, but tells them to be back by sundown tomorrow.
- He claims to always have had terrible luck.
- He orders Vardaman to clean his own fish, without looking at him.
- Anse gets up when the Tulls leave at 5 p.m.
- He goes to Addie’s room, where she is not moving.
- Anse apologizes to Vernon for not getting to the corn, saying his mind’s not straight.
- Anse dwells on his bad luck, about how it’s not something he can escape.
- He reminisces about the transition to Addie’s bedridden state.
- Anse tells Vardaman to wash his hands.
- He thinks that his heart just isn’t in it anymore.
- He follows Peabody into Addie’s room.
- Anse tells Peabody that he would have been called sooner if not for the bad corn crop, but people have been helping out.
- Anse claims there’s no need to tell Addie about her situation, since she would know if she saw Peabody there.
- He orders Cash to finish up the coffin, Dewey Dell to make supper.
- He messes up the quilt of his deceased wife.
- He is happy he’ll be able to get teeth (right after his wife has died).
- Anse sits down to eat with Cash and Peabody; he doesn’t eat at first, then figures Addie would have no problem with it.
- He sits outside with Cash while his son finishes the coffin.
- When it rains, Anse wears Jewel’s raincoat and uses Dewey Dell’s to protect the lantern.
- He decides to wait for Darl and Jewel to come home, despite the delay of three days and the bad weather conditions.
- He leaves for Jefferson with the family.
- Anse says Jewel would have killed that horse if it hadn’t been for him.
- Anse stay overnight at Samson’s with the family.
- He arrives at the bridge with the family.
- He figures they should attempt to cross it.
- Anse walks across the bridge safely, then watches three of his sons get thrown into the river.
- He stays overnight at Armstid’s.
- He rides Jewel’s horse to Snopes’ place and barters Jewel’s horse for a new team.
- Anse arrives in Mottson with the team.
- Anse defends his family’s right to be there, stinky coffin in tow or no.
- He denies the fact that Cash needs to see a doctor.
- He decides that cement should be put on Cash’s leg, especially once they’ve spent money on the cement.
- He watches as the barn burns and Jewel and Darl go crazy in it.
- He arrives in Jefferson with the family.
- Anse goes to Mrs. Bundren’s to borrow spades.
- He buries Addie.
- Anse allows officials to take Darl away.
- Anse takes money from Dewey Dell to buy himself teeth.
- Anse introduces Mrs. Bundren to the family