As I Lay Dying
Cite This Page
Cash Bundren Timeline and Summary
- Cash is heard building Addie’s coffin.
- He shows Addie the coffin throughout the construction process.
- Cash goes into the room and announces Addie’s death, saw in hand.
- He goes to the stalls and finds Vardaman sitting alone.
- Cash comments that he hopes the horses have run past Tull’s house.
- Cash eats dinner with Anse and Peabody, without washing his hands or arms first.
- Cash works all through the night in pouring rain to finish Addie’s coffin.
- Cash gives reasons for creating the coffin on a slant, noting that it looks neater and suits its purpose better.
- Cash advises the men to reposition the coffin, but no one bothers to listen.
- He leaves for Jefferson with the family.
- Cash stay overnight at Samson’s with the family.
- He arrives at the bridge with the family.
- Cash suggests that Dewey Dell, Vardaman, and Anse walk across the bridge instead of going with the rest of the boys on the wagon, for safety reasons.
- He attempts to ford the river on the wagon with Darl.
- He suggests that Darl save himself and jump into the water.
- Cash is thrown into the water, holds onto the rope.
- Cash is kicked by Jewel’s horse, re-breaking his leg.
- Cash is put on Addie’s coffin during wagon rides.
- Cash arrives in Mottson with the family.
- Cash has cement put on his broken leg.
- Cash has water poured on his leg when he starts sweating.
- He has his cast broken off after it is blackened.
- He arrives in Jefferson with the family.
- He decides to be present at Addie’s burial rather than going straight to the doctor’s.
- He sits on the wagon with family sans Darl, eating bananas.