As I Lay Dying
by William Faulkner
Darl Bundren Timeline and Summary
- Darl returns from fields with Jewel, a head shorter than his brother.
- He finds Cash working on Addie Bundren’s coffin; he thinks it will give her "confidence and comfort" (1.5).
- He goes to get a cool drink of gourd water.
- Darl tells his pa a half truth about Jewel’s whereabouts; he really knows about Jewel’s devotion to the wild horse.
- Darl leaves with Jewel to earn three dollars, wanting him along to help with the load.
- He predicts the timing of his mother’s death.
- Darl is the only family member who knows of Dewey Dell’s secret pregnancy.
- Darl narrates Addie’s death scene, from on the road.
- He tells Jewel that Addie has died while they’re stuck in a ditch during the storm.
- Darl philosophizes about existence before he sleeps.
- Darl returns to the barn with Jewel.
- He carries the coffin to the wagon with the family.
- On the wagon, he notices Dewey Dell looking at Peabody.
- Darl tells the family that Jewel will catch up with them.
- He leaves for Jefferson with the family.
- Darl laughs when Jewel catches up with them right where he predicted he would, at Tull’s.
- Darl stays overnight at Samson’s with the family.
- He gets to the flooded bridge.
- He expects Vernon to lend his mule to the family.
- Darl fords the river on the wagon with Cash.
- He jumps into the river when the team is lost.
- Darl gets out of the water safely, but doesn’t save the coffin.
- He stays overnight at Armstid’s with the family.
- He arrives in Mottson.
- Darl mixes cement to pour on Cash’s leg.
- Darl asks Jewel who his father is.
- Darl burns Gillespie’s barn down.
- Darl arrives in Jefferson with the family.
- He offers to bring Cash to Peabody’s.
- He is thought of as mentally insane and arrested.
- Darl is handcuffed and taken away, laughing hysterically.
- He sees his family eating bananas on the wagon.
- He speaks of himself in the third person.