As I Lay Dying
Cite This Page
Jewel Bundren Timeline and Summary
- Jewel’s history: he secretly worked overnight for months on Quick’s forty-acre field to earn his horse.
- Jewel returns from the fields with Darl, taller and soldier-like, stepping through cottonhouse windows.
- He goes straight into the pasture after getting home, whistles for his horse.
- Jewel more or less gets in a brutal fight with the horse, and reigns him in to feed him.
- Jewel commands the horse to eat all the free hay he can get, while no one else is watching (except for Darl).
- Jewel resents Cash for flashily building the coffin for Addie for everyone to see.
- Jewel seems to be a man of few words, often described as wooden.
- He hates people who speak as though his mom were going to die tomorrow. He is in denial about the depth of Addie’s sickness.
- Jewel leaves with Darl to earn three dollars.
- Jewel attempts to free the wagon from the ditch after a wheel breaks.
- Jewel is told by Darl that their mother has died.
- Jewel returns to the barn with Darl.
- He roughly hurries the coffin onto the wagon.
- He curses Darl to his face.
- Jewel goes to the barn, rebelling against Anse’s wishes.
- Jewel rides his horse to catch up with the family at Tull’s.
- He stays overnight at Samson’s with the family.
- He offers to pay Samson for extra food for his horse.
- Jewel arrives at the flooded bridge with the family.
- Jewel shuts Vernon up when he suggests that they prolong the journey even longer.
- Jewel demands that Vernon lend his mule to them.
- Jewel leads the river cross on his horse.
- He is thrown into the water and separated from his horse.
- Jewel looks for Cash’s tools, is successful at finding several tools.
- Jewel stays overnight at Armstid’s with the family.
- He rides off with his horse after hearing that Anse bartered it for a team.
- Jewel trades the horse for the mules, but doesn’t go with the family.
- Jewel returns to the family after they’ve arrived in Mottson.
- Jewel curses Darl when he asks who his father is.
- Jewel frees the animals from the burning barn.
- Jewel saves his mother's coffin from the fire.
- He almost gets in a fight with a townsperson on the way to Jefferson.
- He arrives in Jefferson with the family.
- Jewel tells officials to kill Darl.