As I Lay Dying Section One, narrated by Darl Summary
- Darl returns with his brother Jewel from the fields. Darl is a full head shorter, which might be an age tip-off. They approach a cottonhouse.
- Jewel walks rigidly, walking through the cottonhouse windows while Darl circles the path.
- Darl notes Tull’s wagon as they pass it, and can hear his brother Cash’s saw at the top of the hill.
- Cash, a "good carpenter," is fitting together a coffin for Addie. Darl narrates that she couldn’t want a better one, that this will give her comfort.
- As Darl goes home, the sound of Cash’s adze follows him.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...