As I Lay Dying Section Thirty-One, narrated by Tull Summary
- Tull sees the Bundrens pass and takes his mule out to meet them. He finds them at the edge of the water, readying to cross the river even though the bridge is flooded.
- Vernon suggests they wait until the water level goes down, but the Bundrens decide to cross it now anyway.
- Cash suggests that Dewey Dell, Vardaman, and their father walk across the flooded bridge.
- Jewel and Darl demand that Vernon lend his mule to help them get across more safely. Cash tells them to back off.
- Vernon refuses to put his mule at risk in these waters.