As I Lay Dying
by William Faulkner
As I Lay Dying Section Forty-Three, narrated by Armstid Summary
- At dinner, Anse refuses to use Armstid’s team of mules – he would rather buy a new team of his own.
- Meantime, Jewel goes to get Peabody to fix Cash’s leg. All he can find is a horse doctor, who does what he can. Cash elects to pass out rather than complain.
- Anse rides Jewel’s horse over to Snopes' to find a team of mules to buy.
- Vardaman chases the buzzards around.
- When Anse returns and announces that he mortgaged all his stuff to buy a new team, Darl knows that he must have traded away something more than his junky farm equipment.
- As it turns out, Darl is right. Anse used the eight dollars that Cash had been saving up to buy a graphophone. He also used some money from his own personal "Let’s get me some teeth!" fund.
- Oh, and he also traded away Jewel’s horse.
- Jewel takes his horse and rides off into the horizon.
- Anse claims that his family will go with their own team, again refusing Armstid’s offer to lend his own mules. Cash is placed on a quilt on top of Addie’s coffin.
- The next morning, Snopes brings the mules over and explains that Jewel’s horse was left on his property (meaning the trade went through.) Jewel is nowhere to be seen.
- Armstid notes that there’s something about Anse that makes other men want to help him.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...