As I Lay Dying
by William Faulkner
As I Lay Dying Section Forty-Four, narrated by Vardaman Summary
- The family travels towards Mottson. Anse figures they’ll need to buy Cash medicine, and Darl says they’d better sell Dewey Dell’s cakes in Mottson before they go bad.
- Jewel still hasn’t shown up.
- Cash is awake and in pain. Darl tries to adjust the rope to make it better for him.
- Vardaman and Darl count the number of buzzards flying above them.
- As they ascend a hill, Darl, Vardaman, and Dewey Dell walk while Anse drives the weak team of mules.