As I Lay Dying
by William Faulkner
As I Lay Dying Section Forty-Five, narrated by Moseley Summary
- The family arrives in Mottson.
- Dewey Dell enters a drugstore and indirectly asks for the druggist, Moseley, to give her something to abort her two-month-old baby. She offers him the ten dollars Lafe gave her.
- Moseley refuses to do so, advising Dewey Dell to take the ten dollars and marry Lafe.
- One of the boys goes in a hardware store to buy cement for Cash’s leg.
- The marshal says cement will kill Cash, a Vardaman Bundren ld corpse. In fact, all the townspeople are offended and disturbed by the Bundrens and their traveling corpse party.
- Anse defends his family by bombarding the citizens with all of the obstacles they’ve encountered thus far.