As I Lay Dying
As I Lay Dying Section Forty-Nine, narrated by Vardaman Summary
- In the middle of the night, Darl and Vardaman go over to Addie’s coffin, which they’ve placed under an apple tree.
- Darl has Vardaman put his ear to the coffin to see what their mother is saying.
- Vardaman says Addie is asking God to help her.
- They go back to check up on Cash, who has them pour more water on his leg.
- Anse, Jewel, and Darl all move the coffin into the barn for the night.
- Later that night, Vardaman gets up to go see where the buzzards are after dark.
- He then sees "something," namely Darl setting fire to the Gillespie barn. Dewey Dell later tells him not to reveal what he saw to anyone.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search