As I Lay Dying
by William Faulkner
As I Lay Dying Section Fifty-Six, narrated by Vardaman Summary
- Vardaman waits outside while Dewey Dell is in the pharmacy.
- He keeps thinking about Darl, his brother, who is going to Jackson because he is crazy.
- Vardaman notices a cow across the street. No one else is out at night.
- Vardaman thinks about the train set in the window they passed.
- After a long time, Dewey Dell comes out, cursing the "doctor" and saying that she knows it won’t work.
- Vardaman wants to know what won’t work, but Dewey Dell just answers that they should go back to their hotel.