As You Like It
As You Like It Act 2, Scene 3 Summary
- Orlando is on his way back to Oliver's house when he meets Adam, their old, family servant.
- Adam says Oliver has heard about Orlando's victory and is concerned about the effect that it's going to have on the ever-growing Orlando Fan Club.
- Oliver plans to burn down Orlando's house, which wouldn't be so bad if he didn't plan on Orlando being in it at the time.
- Orlando doesn't know where to go. Even if he ran away, he'd have to do something drastic – like become a highway robber – to support himself, which isn't appealing to him.
- Adam, kind and elderly, has some money he's been stashing away for retirement (500 crowns) and he offers his life savings to Orlando, suggesting that they could live on it awhile if they ran away together.
- Orlando tells us that Adam is an old-school servant, serving for duty and not money, which is a compliment.
- Orlando decides the two will leave together and settle for a simple life.
- Adam says he's lived at Sir Rowland's house from age seventeen to now, when he's almost 80. Adam will be glad to leave and die well, without being indebted to any master.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search